It’s happy time again! Putting together this list is a lot more difficult than I initially thought it would be, you know. I’m starting to get to the point were I keep writing notes and finding that I’m repeating myself, which is obviously annoying.
If you’re interested in reading the other things that make me happy you can find parts 1, 2 and 3 by clicking those numbers.
Image by Flora Waycott
31. Red lipstick – I love red lipstick. I wear it a lot. Pretty much the only time I’m not sporting a red lip is at work when I tend to wear pink. I’m not really sure why. I have a lot of different shades of red lipstick and even an emergency one that lives in my handbag, separate to all my other make up just in case.
32. Making lists – I’m a list maker. If I want to get anything done I tend to have to make lists to make sure a complete all parts. I make sensible working lists like to do lists and shopping lists but I also make frivolous lists too, like this one or my 101 things in 1001 days!
33. Having a plan – I guess this goes hand in hand with my list writing. I love having a plan to work toward. Plans normally involve a variety of lists. When I say I love a plan I don’t necessarily mean a plan of what’s going on tonight, say. I mean I love having a big long-term plan with a set end goal. Like planning my wedding, that was a very definite end goal.
34. Harry – Harry is the other love of my life. No, I’m not cheating on Tom. Harry is my dog. He’s a beautiful black labrador and is daft. I miss him terribly because he lives with my mum and dad. If I had somewhere big enough in London I’d have him here with me in a heartbeat although I think my mum might fight me for him. He’s definitely her baby now.
35. Mum’s roast dinner – The ultimate comfort food. There’s always one thing in your mum’s repertoire that takes you back to being a youngun and my mum’s roast dinner is exactly that. The plate is always stacked high with mash and roasties so you don’t have to choose. Makes me happy just thinking about it.
36. Long train rides – Especially if I’m on my own. Gazing out the window as the scenery flies by. A chance to catch up on some reading, cross stitch or just having a little time to yourself to get your thoughts in order. I know I could really do that anywhere but long train journeys always seem to work best for doing that for me.
37. Books – Glorious books. I love books. I did borrow my friend Kat’s Kindle when we went on holiday and I have to admit it was so super handy and meant I didn’t fill our suitcase with a billion paperbacks and leave no room for clothes. However, I still love a book. The smell, the feel of the pages in your fingers and the shops that sell them.
38. Going home – Sometimes I miss Liverpool in general. Like not missing particular people and places like I do all the time but just a general feeling of missing the city I grew up in. It’s odd. I do get bouts of homesickness. I’ve talked about it before and nothing makes me feel better than when I’m going home for no real reason. When I don’t have things that I have to squeeze in and I’m just going home for going home’s sake. I get spoiled rotten by mum and dad and I get to catch up with my friends. What part of that wouldn’t make you happy?
39. Clean house – I’m dying to move out of our flat. Not because I don’t like the flat but for a variety of other reasons that are too long and petty to go into right now. If we could pick up our flat a pop it somewhere else that would ideal because I like our flat. I especially like it on those days that I’ve worked my arse off and scrubbed it spotless. When it looks its absolute best, I even toy with the idea of staying where we are.
40. Orange juice – I love the stuff. Proper freshly squeezed orange juice I’m talking about. I think it makes me happy because it makes me think of long, lazy breakfasts usually not in the house and with good company. Even when I grab a bottle of juice on the way the office it cheers me up because the smell takes me right back to happy times.
Have you started (or completed) a list of things that make you happy? I’d love to read it. Please leave me your links below.